****TUESDAY/ FRIDAY SERVICE****
STUDENTS REGISTERING FOR THIS SITE MUST REGISTER FOR BOTH DAYS OF SERVICE
VAN DEPARTURE TIME: 10:30 AM
VAN RETURNS TO CAMPUS: 3: 15 PM
SERVICE TIME: 11:15 AM - 2:30 PM
SITE LOCATION: Sunnyside Community Services: 43-31 39th St, Sunnyside, NY 11104
Sunnyside Community Services mission is to enrich the lives of residents in Queens by providing caring, quality services to meet their social, health, educational and recreational needs and strengthen the community. The organization offers a range of life-enhancing programs that benefit approximately 1400 individuals per year--everything from early childhood education to senior services.
Students will assist in supporting the Adult Day Care (ADS) Program and the Out-of-School Youth Career Pathway Program. ADS program services individuals with Alzheimer's disease and related dementia.The OSY program offers a comprehensive integrated Home Health Aide Training Program for students 16-24 which includes a variety of services such as job readiness workshops, GED/TASC preparation, mentoring, tutoring, and more.
Primary responsibilities during service:
- ADS Program: Students will help to provide:
- Respite for caregivers of people with dementia
- Provide opportunities for socialization, assisting in creating an enjoyable experience for clients
- Interact with clients and engage them in meaningful and therapeutic activities
- Offer a variety of activities including exercise, reminiscence, art, music, cognitive games, and more
- Provide a sense of community
- OSY Program: Students will help to provide:
- Job/work readiness workshops
- Act as a mentor/advisor on school placement and career goals
- Offer tutoring on math and reading
Please note students are required to complete the following requirements by the start of service:
- On-Site training
- Complete Volunteer Paperwork
- Complete 'Statewide Central Register Database Check'
- Medical clearance (Up-to-date TB test)
*Students who have already done service in a previous semester are strongly encouraged to re-register for this site.