QUEENS Ozanam Group Service ONLY(MONDAY): READING PARTNERS (RP) PS.48
****MONDAY SERVICE @ PS 48****
VAN DEPARTURE TIME: 8:10 AM
VAN RETURN TO CAMPUS TIME: 1:00 PM
SITE LOCATION: PS. 48: The William Wordsworth School, 108-29 155 St., Jamaica, NY 11433
MISSION: Our mission is to help children become life long readers by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction with measurable results.
Reading Partners is a national nonprofit that provides literacy intervention to students in 19 NYC elementary schools. We partner community volunteers with at-risk students who are reading 1 month to 2 1/2 years behind grade level.
Primary responsibilities during service:
- Scholars will work one-on-one with student participants facilitating curriculm-based literacy activities
- Scholars will assist with adequately recording the progress of each participant daily.
More than simply reading with a child, volunteers must follow a proven, structured curriculum to help students learn specific skills necessary to become proficient readers. It's simple, and it works. Each lesson comes with step-by-step instructions and materials. A trained site coordinator is always available to answer questions, assist with the materials, and solve problems.
Please note students are required to complete the following requirements by the start of service (disregard if you have completed all requirements in a previous semester):
- On-Site training
- Complete On-line registration
- Complete Background and Clearance Authorization Form
- Complete Applicant Gateway form online
- Fingerprinting (through the Department of Education)
- Wednesday, September 12, 2018
- 12:00am - 4:30pm