QUEENS Ozanam Group Service ONLY(WEDNESDAY): READ AHEAD (RA) P.S. 92
VAN DEPARTURE TIME: 10:25 AM
VAN RETURN TO CAMPUS TIME: 2:30 PM
SITE LOCATION: P.S. 092: Harry T. Stewart, 99-01 34th Ave., Flushing, NY 11368
MISSION: Read Ahead's reading-based mentoring develops in students the social-emotional skills essential for academic and life-long success.
VISION: Read Ahead's vision is that our students have the opportunity to unlock their full potential through mentoring relationships based on a love of reading.
Seeking volunteers who are committed to developing consistent and meaningful relationships with NYC elementary school students to participate in reading-based mentorship during school lunch periods (45-minute sessions). Service will include:
- Three back-to-back sessions
- Sessions will take place in a kid-friendly environment where mentees have choice in the daily activities (reading during all sessions is not required)
- Sessions include a combination of reading-based activities along with relationship-building through which the mentor provides individualized attention and role modeling
- Supervision and support provided by on-site Read Ahead Program Coordinator
For more information, click here to view the Read Ahead "job description" and commitments handout.
Since 1991, Read Ahead (formally Everybody Wins! NY) has matched volunteer mentors from premier corporate and community partners with New York City students at nearby public elementary schools for one-to-one reading-based mentoring. Through the over 15,000 lunchtime reading and mentoring sessions held annually in the signature weekly Read Ahead program, 1,000+ students develop confidence in their abilities, motivation to learn, and the skills needed to thrive in school and beyond.
Service Themes: Mentorship, Social-emotional skills development, education, elementary school
Please note students are required to complete the following requirements by the start of service (disregard if you have completed all requirements in a previous semester):
- Online Application
- In-Person group style training
- Background check and authorization through Verified Volunteer Portal
- Wednesday, September 12, 2018
- 12:00am - 4:30pm