QUEENS Ozanam Group Service ONLY (WEDNESDAY): Homes for the Homeless (HFH) After School Program
VAN DEPARTURE TIME: 2:05 PM
VAN RETURN TO CAMPUS TIME: 6:45 PM
SITE LOCATION: Saratoga Family Inn, 175-15 Rockaway Blvd., NY, 11434
MISSION: Homes for the Homeless (HFH) provides homeless families with the opportunities and support necessary to move out of the shelter system and live independently. HFH has adopted a family-based, child-centered, education-focused approach to all its programs and services.
Homes for the Homeless After School Program (Brownstone and Future Link) is dedicated to creating a safe and nurturing environment that assists in breaking the cycles of poverty and homelessness. The program provides effective after school services/programs that promote: (1) life skills developments; (2) academic excellence and improvements; (3) emotional well being.
Primary responsibilities during service:
- Scholars will work one-on-one and in small groups to help and tutor children in kindergarten-8th grade classes.
- Scholars will assist in implementing the discipline protocol, which will include: bathroom duty, hallway monitoring, and assisting with snack time, recreation activities, special programming and other recreation room events.
Service Themes: Mentorship, Social-emotional skills development, education, tutoring, after school programming, extracurricular activities
Please note students are required to complete the following requirements by the start of service (disregard if you have completed all requirements in a previous semester):
- Volunteer Information Packet
- Background Check Information Packet (Volunteer Criminal Conviction Statement, Request for NYS Fingerprinting Service Information Sheet, SEL Check Form, SCR Form)
On-line Mandated Reporter Training
- Wednesday, September 12, 2018
- 12:00am - 4:30pm