QUEENS Ozanam GROUP Service ONLY(FRIDAY): THE PETEY GREENE PROGRAM (PGP)
Additional service days and times for PSP
VAN DEPARTURE TIME: 2:00 PM
VAN RETURN TO CAMPUS TIME: 7:15 PM
SITE LOCATION: Rikers Island, 11-11 Hazen St., East Elmhurst, NY 11370
MISSION: The Petey Greene Program supplements education in correctional institutions by preparing volunteers, primarily college students, to provide free quality tutoring and related programming to support the acedmic achievement of incarcerated people.
VISION: The Petey Greene Porgram will be the national leader of quality tutoring and related educational services to support incarcerated students in achieving thier academic goals. The Petey Greene volunteer experience will inspire our alumni to advocate and take on leadership roles that will reimagine the criminal justice system. We envision a world in which all incarcerated people have access to high quality academic programs.
In this program, scholars will work at Rikers Island in a study hall format, supporting incarcerated students, either young adults or adults, in literacy, or to prepare for their high school equivalency exam. Our model incorporates a collaborative, experiential approach, where vlunteers work together with their students to develop a tollkit for tackling challenging and/or unfamiliar academic probems. We encourage and train volunteers to make content relatable by connecting academic concepts and skills to possible applicants in everyday life.
Service will include:
- Volunteers will work with incarcerated learners, tutoring one-on-one, in a literacy study hall or in a high school equivalency preparation stufy hall.
- Volunteers will tutor at Rikers Isalnd once a week for 3 hours
- Volunteers will have a greater engagement and interest in education and criminal justice
- Volunteers will make course selections and career choices based on their volunteer experience
- Volunters will improve communication anf leadership skills
Service Themes: Education, Criminal Justice, Community Service, Advocacy
Please note students are required to complete the following requirements by the start of service (disregard if you have completed all requirements in a previous semester):
- Submit an online application at peteygreene.org/volunteerapplications
- Interview with a Petey Greene staff person and complete background check forms
- Attend a Petey Greene orientation session (usually held on Saturdays)
- Attend 2 Department of Corrects (DOC) Orientation Sessions (fingerprinting, photo ID, and security training)
- Wednesday, September 12, 2018
- 12:00am - 4:30pm